List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Multiple KDE setups
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-14 1:04:46

Nicolas Brodu wrote:
> I've experimented with kdm, and found something acceptable for my case : I log
> from school on my box, wether I'm already logged at home or not, with a
> different config (graphics, ...). I wonder if this can be combined with the
> KDECONFIGPATH solution aforementioned, or if this is enough for people using
> KDE from different stations simultaneously, but...

Your solution automates the "symbolic link" solution proposed earlier... with
the same problems:

1) Forces *completely* different setups (no shared configs)
2) Does not account for simultaneous logins on multiple machines

You could use the KDECONFIGPATH solution in your setup by changing only
a few lines!

> if [ "$SESSION_TYPE" = "kde2" ]
> then
- 	cd ~
- 	rm .kde
- 	ln -s .kde2 .kde
+   export KDECONFIGDIRS="$HOME/.kde2;$KDEDIR";
> 	export QTDIR=~/cvs/qt
> 	export KDEDIR=~/kde2
> 	export CVSROOT=:pserver:brodu@cvs.kde.org:/home/kde
> 	zsh -c $KDEDIR/bin/startkde
- 	cd ~
- 	rm .kde
- 	ln -s .kde1 .kde
> fi
[snip]
> if [ "$SESSION_TYPE" = "big-screen" ]
> then
-         rm ~/.kde
-         cd ~
-         ln -s .kde-big .kde
+         export KDECONFIGDIRS="$HOME/.kde-big;$KDEDIR";
>         /opt/kde/bin/startkde
-         rm ~/.kde
-         cd ~
-         ln -s .kde1 .kde
> fi

That is a pretty slick way of automating things, though!

--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth

        KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Linux