List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: MICO 2.2.6
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () rz ! tu-ilmenau ! de>
Date:       1999-04-29 19:29:41

Leon Widdershoven wrote:

> If it does require a version of mico, this version  should be
> available on _all_ the platforms for KDE.
>
> Secondly, I don't think it is good to rely on the latest version of
> a certain library in a release-version of KDE. In fact, I think it
> should be able to handle everything from a minimal version (for example
> mico 2.2.0) upward, unless some stuff is seriously broken.
> This because not all system administrators would like to update all
> libraries (and possibly break some programs) just to install a
> new KDE.
> Another point is of course that most Linux distributions do not come
> with the very latest of software, chances are that the version
> requirements are not met and that a possible KDE2.0 user is forced
> to also download a new version of mico, and compile it.
> An example of not up-to-date software is my mandrake 5.3 distribution
> (based on Redhat 5.2 GPL) which came with old versions of automake and
> autoconf.

> As a last remark I would like to give my perception on mico, and
> especially its versions. It looks to me, as an outsider, that mico
> versions come and go in a high speed, breaking everything of previous
> version. I know this is _way_ to harsh, but I hope you get the point.
> Software seems to be very sensitive on the mico version.
> So what I am aiming at, would it be a good idea to write some wrapper
> headers for mico, defining every class mico 2.x.x versions have in
> common,
> but nothing more? Such a well-defined, only slowly changing corba
> "implementation" would perhaps also allow porting to other corba
> implementations more easily, since all functionality used would be
> summarized in "our" header files.
> Linkage would of course be with the real corba implementation
> (mico-whatever).
> (These were just my 0.00002 euro-cents).
>
> Leon

 Sounds very good to me, since not every KDE-user has direct internet-access
to download every day the newest version
of some programs or libraries (like me).
For them it's very hard (and a bit frustrating) to have to update their
system, I for myself don't have the newest libraries, although
I would like to have them, and I also don't know anybody (at the TU Ilmenau)
who has e.g. KOffice compiled, due to the mico stuff.

Bye
Alex