List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KControl Suggestion (was: Re: new libkdecore and kcmdisplay)
From:       Paul Campbell <paul () chromatic ! com>
Date:       1999-03-12 18:08:24

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Yannai A. Gonczarowski wrote:
> Antonio Larrosa wrote:
> > Please everyone, write below what you think this class should manage :
> >
> > - language (already)
> > - date format (dd/mm/yyyy , yyyy/mm/dd , etc)
> > - currency
> - (maybe merge with "international keyboard"?)
> - currenct ($/...) and its placement compared to the number ($1000/1000$)
> - Number format (1000/1,000), (5.3/5,0), ...
> - Long date (Monday, February 13, 1998)
> - Short date (dd/mm/yyyy)
> - One of: (or both)
> 	Time w/o seconds (13:23, 1:23 AM)
> 	Time w/ seconds (13:23:33, 1:23:33 AM)
> - Support for different calenders (Gregorian, Hebrew, others...) (Maybe
> there should be a differently configurable Long/Short date format for each
> calender).
> - Week begins on: Sunday/Monday(/other?)
> - Current Time Zone/Daylight Savings time on/off.

> For all the above, it would be cool if the user selected his/her
> geographical location (country, state if applicable, or language district
> like Swiss/German, Swiss/French, ...), and default options would be guessed
> for everything.
> Even better for the novice user: Select only a country. There could be an
> option of a <More options...> button for more advanced users (or maybe only
> include some of the options, and show the others in "More options").

I've offered to take over kcmclock and amoung other things finish the
Time Zone setup dialog - my plan was to keep a database of cities
with timezones and locations - and have the user click on the world map
which would result in a pop up of cities that might be near to them
(with the option of entering their own city/location/TZ if it wasn't there)

this could be extended in the way that you suggest - but of course while
most of the people in the same city tend to be in the same timezone - they use
different keyboards and languages (I don't want to get into the middle of a
Canadian or Belgian language argument for example :-)

I'm in favour of broadly related configuration panels rather than apllication
specific ones - for example putting all the stuff for configuring time together
(even the thing that turns on the clock in the panel :-) - all the
internationalisation stuff somewhere else - and (my last project) all the
laptop specific stuff somewhere else.

So I'd lay claim to the DST related stuff for kcmclock - but the formatting
stuff should be in an internationalisation dialog.

On a somewhat related topic - is there anyone out there that understands
the right way to treat time in countries that use solar time (in particular
some Islamic countries) - I just know enough to know that it's an issue- and
that I don't know enough about it to do the issue justice - using a map in
conjuntion with a time setup dialog is ideal for getting this right - but I
don't know how to get there from here

    Paul Campbell