List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KControl Suggestion (was: Re: new libkdecore and kcmdisplay)
From:       Jo Dillon <emily () thelonious ! new ! ox ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1999-03-12 10:29:20

Yannai A. Gonczarowski (yannaigo@leyada.jlm.k12.il) spake thusly:
> Which brings another idea:
> As of KDE 1.1, the kcontrol is loaded with very many options/configurations
> which are frightening for a novice user.
>
> My suggestion:
> (1) Have in a main place in kcontrol a switch like "Show Basic Configuration
> Options Only (recommended for novice users)"/"Show Advanced Configuration
> Options", which will control what the user sees (this could vary from hiding
> an entire kcm like the windows->advanced kcm, hiding a few buttons on some
> kcms, or even doing nothing to some other kcms).

  Good idea - that's something I'd like to see as a global application
for all apps, actually  - maybe 'Simple', 'Normal' and 'Expert' modes.
This could be made to work quite easily if layout's stored in a file for
each app rather than hard-coded, and wouldn't be that hard even for
hard-coded programs.

--
	Jo