List:       kde-devel
Subject:    New version number of libs and Debian packages
From:       Russell Coker <russell () coker ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-02-28 0:35:23

I notice that the version of the libraries in the latest CVS is 3.0.0.  I think
that it would be an advantage to have the Debian packages of the base libraries
named as kdelibs1g so that the new DLLs can be installed at the same time as
the old DLLs (so we can run KDE 2.0 programs on the same system as KDE 1.1
programs).  In fact we really should have done this with the KDE 1.1 release so
we could run programs compiled for KDE 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 on the same system
(too late now I guess).
To do this we will have to seperate out .png, .jpg, and .xpm files into a
seperate package from the kdelibs package (too late now I guess).  We would also
have to have a kdelibs1g-dev package which conflicts with the kdelibs0g-dev
package.

What do you (especially coolo) think of this?  I haven't started on doing this
as it will involve a painful amount of testing, so I won't bother if everyone
else hates the idea.

--
I am in London and would like to meet any Linux users here.
I plan to work in London for 6 months and then I might move to some other