List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: New version number of libs and Debian packages
From:       Russell Coker <russell () coker ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-02-28 19:08:57

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, you wrote:
>Russell Coker wrote:
>>
>> I notice that the version of the libraries in the latest CVS is 3.0.0.  I think
>> that it would be an advantage to have the Debian packages of the base libraries
>> named as kdelibs1g so that the new DLLs can be installed at the same time as
>> the old DLLs (so we can run KDE 2.0 programs on the same system as KDE 1.1
>> programs).  In fact we really should have done this with the KDE 1.1 release so
>> we could run programs compiled for KDE 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 on the same system
>> (too late now I guess).
>> To do this we will have to seperate out .png, .jpg, and .xpm files into a
>> seperate package from the kdelibs package (too late now I guess).  We would also
>> have to have a kdelibs1g-dev package which conflicts with the kdelibs0g-dev
>> package.
>>
>> What do you (especially coolo) think of this?  I haven't started on doing this
>> as it will involve a painful amount of testing, so I won't bother if everyone
>> else hates the idea.
>>
>Russel - where have you been? I told you _ages ago_ that I've done very
>much in the 1.1 branch. I never uploaded a kdelibs0g package of 1.1. I
>don't see a problem with the .png and so on, force-overwrite is your
>friend in this case.

Sorry, this functionality wasn't in the last pre-1.1 version I was working with
before the commit, and I haven't checked on the 1.1 stuff since it was frozen
and 2.0 became the latest development tree.
I shall now change the names in the pre-2.0 libs to kdelibs3g.

--
I am in London and would like to meet any Linux users here.
I plan to work in London for 6 months and then I might move to some other