List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: program loading
From:       David Sweet <dsweet () chaos ! umd ! edu>
Date:       1999-02-24 13:40:38

I'm in the process of coding a rough version of a transient-window
feedback indicator for program launching and I've run across a problem:

xtoolwait's algorithm can tell when a window is mapped, but not which
application the window belongs to (which is fine for xtoolwait's purpose, but
not for launching an app from kpanel).  Any ideas?

Knowing the pid of the window's creator would help. (It wouldn't solve the
problem totally, though.  Ideally we'd like to know the processes parent's pid,
grandparent's pid, etc. as well -- what if we launch a shell script which then
launches an X/K app?) The pid isn't available with XGetWindowProperty and I'm
not sure where else to look.

Anyway, so far I have a class, KAppWait, which uses xtoolkit's algorithm to
launch an app and emit a signal when then next window maps.  I've put it at
http://www.chaos.umd.edu/~dsweet/klaunch.tar.gz, with a test program which
uses KAppWait to launch emacs, for anyone who's interested in playing with it.

Dave