List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: program loading
From:       Stefan Taferner <taferner () salzburg ! co ! at>
Date:       1999-02-24 14:14:16

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, David Sweet wrote:
> I'm in the process of coding a rough version of a transient-window
> feedback indicator for program launching
[...]
> Anyway, so far I have a class, KAppWait, which uses xtoolkit's algorithm to
> launch an app and emit a signal when then next window maps.  I've put it at
> http://www.chaos.umd.edu/~dsweet/klaunch.tar.gz, with a test program which
> uses KAppWait to launch emacs, for anyone who's interested in playing with it.

Maybe I missed some mails, but what's wrong with the way kpanel does it
right now?  (I mean the blinking led)

Please, whatever interface you build, make it so that there is exactly one
function that only expects the command and does the rest itself.

As far as I understand things, kpanel monitors the CPU usage of the starting
process to determine when it is done, right?  IMO a very elegant solution.

--Stefan