List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: program loading
From:       Mathias Kettner <kettner () suse ! de>
Date:       1999-02-24 8:33:36

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, David Black wrote:

> I was just thinking that perhaps we could simply add a terse
> splash screen to KApplication. One which comes up when minimum
> X connections have been made and is automagically cancelled when the
> application calls exec? It could be globally cancelled through a config
> option, but would at least give some feedback that things are a happening.
> Perhaps if it was delayed by say a second or so, it need not even trigger
> for small applets.

I see two problems:

1. The splashscreen wont pop up before the whole application including
   all libraries have been loaded -> The indicator that should show,
   that a program is being loaded, is shown AFTER the program has
   been loaded, hence useless.

2. It works only for KDE applications. Some of the major slowloading
   applications e.g netscape and StarOffice (which cause most of the trouble)
   aren't affected.

--
Gruss,

   Mathias         .'\   /.