List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: feature idea - feedback wanted
From:       Alex Zepeda <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1999-02-15 17:32:39

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, David Faure wrote:

> I think this is a bad idea. It was already discussed before, you'll end up
> with lots of problems (because some programs might run on Linux AND *BSD,
> others on SunOS and Linux, ... and so on)

Well then it's not really OS specific then is it?  ksysv is a good example
of this... it compiles everywhere but is of (for the time being) no use to
BSD based systems.

> I think it's better to add admin tools to kdeadmin, with checks in
> configure to know whether each tool must be compiled under a given OS.
> This is already the approach used by lots of programs among the kde CVS -
> such as kppp, ksirc, or in kdeadmin : kdat.

Yes and then we end up with a kdeadmin that's become really bloated and
any one OS can use less than 1/3 of the programs there meaning someone has
downloaded a bunch of useless crap..

> And there are tools like kcmbind, which I think can run on any system
> having named, right ? Not an OS specific thing, but still a sysadmin tool.
> Same for ksamba.

So then put the stuff that at least compiles everywhere or doesn't depend
on external programs specific to one OS in a more general module.  The
distinction is rather clear IMO.

> There will be lots of sysadmin GUIs for such quasi-OS-independent programs,
> and only some for OS specific things (network config, ipfwadm, hum what
> else ?)

- alex