List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: feature idea - feedback wanted
From:       Carlo Wood <carlo () runaway ! xs4all ! nl>
Date:       1999-02-15 13:35:13

Waldo Bastian, bastian@kde.org wrote:

| Very good.
|
| I think we need to offer a CORBA service to which applications
| can subscribe and which can tell whether the network is up/down/
| goind up/going down and which can handle requests like "bring
| network up", "bring network down".
|
| You can then make various CORBA modules, depending on the situation
| which can implement this Interface.
|
| A good candidate would be to make a module which uses KPPP.
|
| Another module could be made for a fixed connection:
|     It would always return UP and gives a usefull error when a
|     "bring down" request is made.
|
| Any exotic (hardware/OS dependant) other scenario can be supported
| by making a CORBA module for it which support this same interface.
|
| Cheers,
| Waldo Bastian
| bastian@kde.org
| --
| Please forward this message to kde-devel.

I am not into CORBA, so I'll leave to others :).
Note however that I never mentioned to allow the
"bring network up/down", that is something different
then polling (or getting notified) about whether or
not the network *is* up/down.  It is also a lot harder
to write a general interface that would allow this.

--
 Carlo Wood  <carlo@runaway.xs4all.nl>