List:       kde-devel
Subject:    IMPORTANT: update automake & autoconf
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-02-15 13:17:55

Hi!

Since automake 1.4 broke it's compliance to automake 1.3,
I had to go the tough way and now KDE CVS will refuse to
build when you use 1.3 (the Makefile.cvs will already!)

Since I can't look into everyone's Makefile.am, I tell
you shortly what you have to fix in case:
DEFS +=
CXXFLAGS +=
LDFLAGS +=
etc. will all refuse to work. The += isn't supported
by automake 1.4 due to a bug. The strange is that the
release note says, that support for this operator is
build in, but the bug sees DEFS += as DEFS = and
you will loose the standard settings done by automake.

The correct way to handle this is to use
AM_CXXFLAGS = ...
AM_CPPFLAGS = (for DEFS, AM_DEFS doesn't exist)
AM_LDFLAGS = ...

The problem is, that those variables aren't handled
by automake 1.3 in return. So if you use these, use
AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = 1.4 in your toplevel Makefile.am.

The other problem is that automake 1.4 requires
autoconf 2.13 silently. To prevent users from falling
into this gap, I added a AC_PREREQ([2.13]) into
acinclude.m4.in, so every project using this file
will have to use autoconf 2.13 from now on.

Happy hacking, Stephan

--
As long as Linux remains a religion of freeware fanatics,
Microsoft have nothing to worry about.