List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDevelop v.0.2
From:       Frugal <chrisw () redac ! co ! uk>
Date:       1998-12-04 15:16:17

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Pietro Iglio wrote:
>
> > At 14.53 04/12/98 +0200, you wrote:
> > >The Sun Workshop knows how to communicate with XEmacs and Vi (it has an odd
> > >graphical vi), and does all the stuff you mentioned. I have no idea how it
> > >does it, though.
> >
> > I think that a good starting point is at:
> >
> > http://www.cs.indiana.edu/elisp/external-widget/external-widget_toc.html
> >
> > ("Using emacs as a widget in other programs")
> >
> > You can reach this link from www.xemacs.org.
>
> Also look at Qt's extension to handle Xt widgets (which should have come
> with your Qt sources)

From the online docs:

"The external client widget will not do anything until an instance of
Emacs is told about this particular widget. To do that, call the
function make-frame, specifying a value for the frame parameter
window-id. This value should be a string containing the decimal
representation of the will get's X window ID number (this can be
obtained by the Xt function XtWindow()). In order for the client program
to communicate this information to Emacs, a method such as sending a
ToolTalk message needs to be used."

So we need to create the widget, start up a copy of emacs, tell this
copy of emacs about the frame. Then we can use ToolTalk messages to talk
to the copy of emacs we have started up.

ToolTalk is defined here:
	http://www.cs.umbc.edu/kqml/toolTalk/toolTalk.html

So we need to make our application a ToolTalk server, as well as
everything else. Is it just me or is this going to get silly...

--
Frugal                       + The two secrets to success:
                             +   1- Don't tell anyone everything.