List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDevelop v.0.2
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1998-12-04 14:49:25

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Pietro Iglio wrote:

> At 14.53 04/12/98 +0200, you wrote:
> >Frugal wrote:
> >> This would be fine if you then had a good way of communicating with the
> >> application in the sub window. It is all very well having a copy of your
> >> favourite editor running in the window, but if you can't tell it to jump
> >> to a particular point in a file or even open a file than it is worse
> >> than useless. If you can tell the editor what to do then you still need
> >> a common interface to do this.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know how to tell a currently running copy of emacs, vi,
> >> kedit, kwrite, nedit, etc. how to open a file, move around in a file,
> >> highlight text, insert text, save files etc. all with a single
> >> interface, all guaranteed to work the same way.
> >The Sun Workshop knows how to communicate with XEmacs and Vi (it has an odd
> >graphical vi), and does all the stuff you mentioned. I have no idea how it
> >does it, though.
>
> I think that a good starting point is at:
>
> http://www.cs.indiana.edu/elisp/external-widget/external-widget_toc.html
>
> ("Using emacs as a widget in other programs")
>
> You can reach this link from www.xemacs.org.

Also look at Qt's extension to handle Xt widgets (which should have come
with your Qt sources)

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Life isn't short. It's just that death is longer.