List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE version notice
From:       "Yannai A. Gonczarowski" <yannaigo () leyada ! jlm ! k12 ! il>
Date:       1998-11-30 16:47:10

Andreas Pour wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The more I think about this version notice business the more I think it doesn't
> really make sense.  KDE is not one program, it is a collection of programs.
> And since it's open source it's pretty much mix and match.  I can be running
> KDE "1.0" and my friend can be running KDE "1.0" and we can have quite
> different systems, with quite a number of different bugs, capabilities, etc.
> So, frankly, I don't think it makes sense to call the "system" KDE (version
> number) b/c there really is no integrated "system" (like you would have in a
> proprietary system like Mac or MS Windows) -- KDE is not the Borg, rather the
> opposite ("You shall be freed.  Resistance is futile.").
>
> I think what makes more sense is for each program that is part of the official
> 1.1 release to include a message on that in their about box (e.g., kxxx version
> y.yy (KDE Release 1.1)).  These programs would presumably be upgraded on
> people's computers prior to the next official release, then you could make an
> appropriate change (e.g., kxxx version y.yy (KDE Release 1.1, Upgrade zzz)).
> As far as the "official" About KDE page goes, I think it would be nice to keep
> it as is, with no version number; given the modularity of KDE the only
> information a version number could really give you is the version number of
> whatever library contains the "About KDE" text (even though I do suggest
> putting the new KDE logo on the About screen rather than the information
> symbol!).
>
> Just my $0.05 cents worth (hey, 2 cents is not what it once was).

You are correct, one version number for the entire KDE doesn't make sense,
however...

When a user wants to install a program that says "requires KDE 1.1 or
higher", that user should have a way to find out what is the version of the
KDE
L I B R A R I E S on his computer.

So, I suggest that it should appear in the KCC, where it states the machine
type, etc..., or in a help page. We should try to anticipate where the user
will look for it, and put it there.
Next to it, the Qt Libs version should also be stated.

Flames/Comments/...?

Regards,
Yannai.

    /      /__...---===='---+---_'                System Administrator