List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Change resolution? (was Re: What's with the background docking icon?)
From:       "Yannai A. Gonczarowski" <yannaigo () leyada ! jlm ! k12 ! il>
Date:       1998-11-30 16:42:14

Alex Zepeda wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, Aaron Levinson wrote:
>
> > So, does anyone know if there is a standard programmatic way to do this?
> > It would be really cool if this feature could be added to the kbgndwm
> > docking icon.  As far as I know, something like this is not available
> > anywhere for Unix.  Or, do you have to be super-user to do this?  It would
> > be pretty lame if you can't do this with X but can easily do it on
> > Windows (which you can).
>
> There was a nifty little program that used XFree86 specific extensions out
> there to do something like this (and yes it was written for KDE).  If you
> (or anyone for that matter) take the time to make it a kcm "applet" I'll
> add it to kdeutils.  Of course if someone can dig up some info on how to
> do this with the rest of the X servers "supported" by KDE, that'd be even
> better.
>
> - alex
>
> | "Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern  |
> | technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat." |
> | Powered by FreeBSD                            http://www.freebsd.org/  |

It would be cool if such a program detects if one is using XFree86 and if
so, allow one to change the res using a menu.

Maybe even allow multiple desktops use different resolutions?

Maybe even add a property to kdelnk that allows to switch to a specific
resolution before running (there is such a program - QRes - for windoze95).

Regards,
Yannai.

    /      /__...---===='---+---_'                System Administrator
   '------'---.___ -  _ =   _.-'            yannaigo@leyada.jlm.k12.il