List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE version notice
From:       Michael McCarthy <goldedge () ibm ! net>
Date:       1998-11-21 22:48:13

> On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, Andreas Pour wrote:
>
> > The more I think about this version notice business the more I think it doesn't
> > really make sense.  KDE is not one program, it is a collection of programs.
> > And since it's open source it's pretty much mix and match.  I can be running
> > KDE "1.0" and my friend can be running KDE "1.0" and we can have quite
> > different systems, with quite a number of different bugs, capabilities, etc.
> > So, frankly, I don't think it makes sense to call the "system" KDE (version
> > number) b/c there really is no integrated "system" (like you would have in a
> > proprietary system like Mac or MS Windows) -- KDE is not the Borg, rather the
> > opposite ("You shall be freed.  Resistance is futile.").

> Alex Zepeda wrote:
> Yes, but the libs will be of a common version if you've got "KDE 1.0".
> The app's individual version string IMO belongs in the about box.
>Perhaps a tab could be added to kcminfo....
>
> My favorite option is still a default background with the KDE logo
>(and perhaps some other clips of screenshots and the like) w/ version
info.

How about the apps individual version in the about box and extending
Kcminfo to be a full system reporting tool.
reporting the Kde Version, Librarys, Linux version, memory: available
resources: etc and placing it on the Desktop.

The advantage of this would be for debugging and error reporting,
perhaps
it could even print a system report to files or printer.

Regards
Michael