List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE version notice
From:       hpj.lisa () t-online ! de (hpj)
Date:       1998-11-21 14:11:10

Yannai A. Gonczarowski wrote:

> Aaron Levinson wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Michael Reiher wrote:

[snip]
> > Ok, you've all convinced me of my bad, evil ways.  No splash screen! :-)
> >
> > Aaron
> Well, KDE unfortunately takes some time to come up (from when you press
> ENTER in KDM until kpanel and kfm finish to load). Why not display the logo
> in full screen until it finishes loading (nothing useful on the display
> until then, anyway) like CDE does?
>
> Regards,
> Yannai.

[snip]

That's really true. For this reason, it would be nice to handle icons
etc
in a cache file. Would improve startup time a lot (IMHO), aspecially for
diskless workstations...

Another nice feature would be a mac-like startup sequence -> some icons
showing startup phase (althrough this would lengthen it).

But no boring splash screens, please..

Hans-Peter

P.S.: [OFFTOPIC] Has anybody a clue, how to cure X from it's boring gray
                 screen, when starting (i would prefer black)?