List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE version notice
From:       Stefan Taferner <taferner () salzburg ! co ! at>
Date:       1998-11-21 14:14:54

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998 wrote Yannai A. Gonczarowski:
>Aaron Levinson wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Michael Reiher wrote:
>>
>> > IMO a splash screen makes no sence if the user wants to find out the
>> > version number. He would see it sometimes after installing a new kde
>> > version. Then he get nerved by it and turns it off. Some weeks later he
>> > needs to know the version but doesn´t remember what was written on the
>> > splash screen anymore. So: turn splash on and restart kde!
>>
>> Ok, you've all convinced me of my bad, evil ways.  No splash screen! :-)
>>
>> Aaron
>Well, KDE unfortunately takes some time to come up (from when you press
>ENTER in KDM until kpanel and kfm finish to load). Why not display the logo
>in full screen until it finishes loading (nothing useful on the display
>until then, anyway) like CDE does?

IMO splash screens -- a logo during startup is a splash screen -- are ugly
behaviour. Please don't import them from Windoze.

I would prefere a small "About Kde" app that displays the version number.
In case of stable versions the version number is rather clear.

In case of development snapshots we could display the word
"Development Snapshot" together with the build date there.

The "About Kde" app could be included in kpanel. I think this is the proper
place.

Of course this does not solve the problem if somebody installs a mixed
Kde with some apps from the stable and some apps from the development
release.

--Stefan