List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE version notice
From:       Alex Zepeda <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1998-11-21 20:25:46

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, Andreas Pour wrote:

> The more I think about this version notice business the more I think it doesn't
> really make sense.  KDE is not one program, it is a collection of programs.
> And since it's open source it's pretty much mix and match.  I can be running
> KDE "1.0" and my friend can be running KDE "1.0" and we can have quite
> different systems, with quite a number of different bugs, capabilities, etc.
> So, frankly, I don't think it makes sense to call the "system" KDE (version
> number) b/c there really is no integrated "system" (like you would have in a
> proprietary system like Mac or MS Windows) -- KDE is not the Borg, rather the
> opposite ("You shall be freed.  Resistance is futile.").

Yes, but the libs will be of a common version if you've got "KDE 1.0".
The app's individual version string IMO belongs in the about box.  Perhaps
a tab could be added to kcminfo....

My favorite option is still a default background with the KDE logo (and
perhaps some other clips of screenshots and the like) w/ version info.

- alex

| "Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern  |
| technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat." |