List:       kde-devel
Subject:    session management question
From:       Navindra Umanee <navindra () cs ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       1998-02-27 8:28:32

Montreal Fri Feb 27 02:20:21 1998

Hi, can anyone help me understand how session-management works for
non-KDE apps?

According to srcdoc/kdecore/KWM.html#ref2:

Note 3: PSEUDO SESSION MANAGEMENT There is also another way to do
pseudo session management: 1) do NOT enable session management 2) call
setWmCommand (see below) anyway and set the command which was used to
start your application.

This is exactly what old X11 applications like xterm, xedit or xv
do. BTW setWmCommand will also set the WM_CLIENT_MACHINE property,
which allows the session manager to restart the application on the
correct machine.

My question, is how do the old X11 applications call setWmCommand when
they don't even know about the KApplication or KWM classes?  My second
question is, can KDE be configured to ignore old X11 applications in
session-management or alternately can old X11 applications be
prevented from calling setWmCommand?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Navin.