List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: SQL Query tool - incubator
From:       Miroslav_Å pehar <mspehar () gmail ! com>
Date:       2019-08-23 14:10:16

Hi Albert,

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 10:23 PM Albert Astals Cid <aacid@kde.org> wrote:

> El dimecres, 14 d'agost de 2019, a les 14:24:09 CEST, Miroslav Å pehar va escriure:
> > Hi Albert,
> >
> > > El divendres, 9 d'agost de 2019, a les 14:45:23 CEST, Miroslav Å pehar va \
> > > escriure:

> > > Your code doesn't build.
> > >
> > > CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:19 (add_executable):
> > > Cannot find source file:
> > >
> > > src/ConnectionStandardItem.cpp
> >
> > Probably not with cmake. I tried to convert .pro into cmake, but didnt
> > manage to do it since i never touched cmake before.
> > To be honest, i actually do not need cmake since qmake works just
> > fine, so i just left it for later in the state it is... The idea was
> > to move to cmake since kde uses it.
>
> Oh, then remove the file, or fix it, but don't leave it there for people like me to \
> try to use it, fail and then be sad.

Fixed rather quickly after you said it didnt work. I also copied the
repo to gitlab to run automated test there since they have it
included.
It gets tested on both, qmake and cmake.

> > > It means that once you joing KDE it's not yours anymore, it's ours, because you \
> > > are now us.
> >
> > Very clear explanation. I would suggest using this sentence in the wiki page.

> > > Having a small team is "ok but not great".
> >
> > Not great, not terrible :)
> >
> > > But what's not going to happen for you importing your code to KDE's gitlab is \
> > > that suddenly you get 10 new contributors (unless you do some noise about the \
> > > app and sell it to developers) everyone here is already very busy.
> >
> > Yes, i am aware of that. one can hope at least for at least some
> > casual commits and/or advice / internal design help..
> > If not to the application itself, maybe in KPart if someone helps with
> > replacement of the custom component with KPart one.
> > But one of the reasons for joining into the community is to have support, right?
>
> Yes, we will try to help you, but unless you have a good selling story, people are \
> not going to show up and develop stuff.

understood.

> > > I see that the last "code" commit was 10 months ago, that makes me a bit scared \
> > > to be honest.
> > > Cheers,
> > > Albert
> >
> > Yes, this is actually an issue. I reached the point where it
> > more-or-less worked for me, some other design aspects i had an issue
> > with, so i kinda just thought to left it for a while.
> > I am thinking to put some effort into it once kubuntu 19.10 (plasma
> > 5.17?) comes out, so let's see if i get distracted with stuff like
> > golang/rust.
> >
> > As i said, this is just a check to see what you guys think about this
> > idea, especially since there is no alternative for this development
> > tool in kde ecosystem (not considering jetlabs and java apps).
> > I can also keep it as it is and come back when it is more mature.
>
> This last paragraph leaves me with a "i don't know what to say" feeling, it seems \
> that it works for you, which is nice, but if you want to move from "pet project" to \
> "this is something i want people to use" you can't say "let's see if i get \
> distracted" because what we don't want is to incubate projects to have them just \
> die the second after they join.
> So I guess the real question here is, how commit are you to make this a serious \
> project? One where you make releases and tell the world "hey there's this nice \
> thing, come and use it" and then take all the [potentially negative] feedback and \
> try to make the app better, and then rinse and repeat.

Due to my day job, this will probably never be something that i can
invest a lot of time into, so i do not see it becoming something
drastically different from "pet project".
I guess it comes down to how much time i can spend on this and
hopefully more in the winter than during the summer.
I am interested into improving it, but also with limited time. This
further means slow and irregular progress.

Since this seems to be an issue here, i have no problem to continue as
i did before.
Not being incubated will not have an impact of what i planned to do either way.

Thanks a lot for a discussion here and i really appreciate the consideration.

> Cheers,
> Albert
>

> > Thanks for reading.
> >
> > Best regards,