List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: SQL Query tool - incubator
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2019-08-21 20:22:58

El dimecres, 14 d'agost de 2019, a les 14:24:09 CEST, Miroslav Å pehar va escriure:
> Hi Albert,
>
> > El divendres, 9 d'agost de 2019, a les 14:45:23 CEST, Miroslav Å pehar va \
> > escriure:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > i would like to check if there is some interest into including SQL tool
> > > into KDE and helping with development. So far the project has (had) two
> > > developers, me and asw-dev (from github, do not know his actual name).
> > >
> > > This was started because, afaik, there is no application in Qt5 that fits
> > > into KDE that provides this functionality.
> > >
> > > Anyhow, the code and how it looks like is here:
> > > https://github.com/mispp/goat
> > > Some things are missing, some things are not working best, but overall it
> > > does work.
> >
> > Your code doesn't build.
> >
> > CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:19 (add_executable):
> > Cannot find source file:
> >
> > src/ConnectionStandardItem.cpp
>
> Probably not with cmake. I tried to convert .pro into cmake, but didnt
> manage to do it since i never touched cmake before.
> To be honest, i actually do not need cmake since qmake works just
> fine, so i just left it for later in the state it is... The idea was
> to move to cmake since kde uses it.

Oh, then remove the file, or fix it, but don't leave it there for people like me to \
try to use it, fail and then be sad.

> > > Incubator requirements, per point:
> > >
> > > - Compliance with the KDE Manifesto -> this is currently hosted on
> > > github, but it is not a problem to move it to kde infrastructure (gitlab)
> > > - Governance similar to the other KDE projects -> i cant really judge
> > > this since this has been a small effort. what does this exactly mean?
> >
> > It means that once you joing KDE it's not yours anymore, it's ours, because you \
> > are now us.
>
> Very clear explanation. I would suggest using this sentence in the wiki page.
>
> > > - Clear product vision -> product vision is described in readme. not
> > > sure if this enough.
> > > - Healthy team (healthy proportion of volunteers, inclusive towards new
> > > contributors, ideally more than one developer) -> this is one of the
> > > issues. reason for reaching out is lack of developer time.
> >
> > Having a small team is "ok but not great".
>
> Not great, not terrible :)
>
> > But what's not going to happen for you importing your code to KDE's gitlab is \
> > that suddenly you get 10 new contributors (unless you do some noise about the app \
> > and sell it to developers) everyone here is already very busy.
>
> Yes, i am aware of that. one can hope at least for at least some
> casual commits and/or advice / internal design help..
> If not to the application itself, maybe in KPart if someone helps with
> replacement of the custom component with KPart one.
> But one of the reasons for joining into the community is to have support, right?

Yes, we will try to help you, but unless you have a good selling story, people are \
not going to show up and develop stuff.

> > I see that the last "code" commit was 10 months ago, that makes me a bit scared \
> > to be honest.
> > Cheers,
> > Albert
>
> Yes, this is actually an issue. I reached the point where it
> more-or-less worked for me, some other design aspects i had an issue
> with, so i kinda just thought to left it for a while.
> I am thinking to put some effort into it once kubuntu 19.10 (plasma
> 5.17?) comes out, so let's see if i get distracted with stuff like
> golang/rust.
>
> As i said, this is just a check to see what you guys think about this
> idea, especially since there is no alternative for this development
> tool in kde ecosystem (not considering jetlabs and java apps).
> I can also keep it as it is and come back when it is more mature.

This last paragraph leaves me with a "i don't know what to say" feeling, it seems \
that it works for you, which is nice, but if you want to move from "pet project" to \
"this is something i want people to use" you can't say "let's see if i get \
distracted" because what we don't want is to incubate projects to have them just die \
the second after they join.

So I guess the real question here is, how commit are you to make this a serious \
project? One where you make releases and tell the world "hey there's this nice thing, \
come and use it" and then take all the [potentially negative] feedback and try to \
make the app better, and then rinse and repeat.

Cheers,
  Albert