List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: SQL Query tool - incubator
From:       Miroslav_Å pehar <mspehar () gmail ! com>
Date:       2019-08-14 12:24:09

Hi Albert,

> El divendres, 9 d'agost de 2019, a les 14:45:23 CEST, Miroslav Å pehar va escriure:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > i would like to check if there is some interest into including SQL tool
> > into KDE and helping with development. So far the project has (had) two
> > developers, me and asw-dev (from github, do not know his actual name).
> >
> > This was started because, afaik, there is no application in Qt5 that fits
> > into KDE that provides this functionality.
> >
> > Anyhow, the code and how it looks like is here:
> > https://github.com/mispp/goat
> > Some things are missing, some things are not working best, but overall it
> > does work.
>
> Your code doesn't build.
>
> CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:19 (add_executable):
> Cannot find source file:
>
> src/ConnectionStandardItem.cpp

Probably not with cmake. I tried to convert .pro into cmake, but didnt
manage to do it since i never touched cmake before.
To be honest, i actually do not need cmake since qmake works just
fine, so i just left it for later in the state it is... The idea was
to move to cmake since kde uses it.

> > Incubator requirements, per point:
> >
> > - Compliance with the KDE Manifesto -> this is currently hosted on
> > github, but it is not a problem to move it to kde infrastructure (gitlab)
> > - Governance similar to the other KDE projects -> i cant really judge
> > this since this has been a small effort. what does this exactly mean?
>
> It means that once you joing KDE it's not yours anymore, it's ours, because you are \
> now us.

Very clear explanation. I would suggest using this sentence in the wiki page.

> > - Clear product vision -> product vision is described in readme. not
> > sure if this enough.
> > - Healthy team (healthy proportion of volunteers, inclusive towards new
> > contributors, ideally more than one developer) -> this is one of the
> > issues. reason for reaching out is lack of developer time.
>
> Having a small team is "ok but not great".

Not great, not terrible :)

> But what's not going to happen for you importing your code to KDE's gitlab is that \
> suddenly you get 10 new contributors (unless you do some noise about the app and \
> sell it to developers) everyone here is already very busy.

Yes, i am aware of that. one can hope at least for at least some
casual commits and/or advice / internal design help..
If not to the application itself, maybe in KPart if someone helps with
replacement of the custom component with KPart one.
But one of the reasons for joining into the community is to have support, right?

> I see that the last "code" commit was 10 months ago, that makes me a bit scared to \
> be honest.
> Cheers,
> Albert

Yes, this is actually an issue. I reached the point where it
more-or-less worked for me, some other design aspects i had an issue
with, so i kinda just thought to left it for a while.
I am thinking to put some effort into it once kubuntu 19.10 (plasma
5.17?) comes out, so let's see if i get distracted with stuff like
golang/rust.

As i said, this is just a check to see what you guys think about this
idea, especially since there is no alternative for this development
tool in kde ecosystem (not considering jetlabs and java apps).
I can also keep it as it is and come back when it is more mature.

Thanks for reading.

Best regards,
Miroslav.