List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Will the real KDE bug reporter please stand up?
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-06-29 7:01:08

Hi guys,

There seems to be more than one place in KDE SC where some kind of
bug reporting is offered.

1. You can log in to bugs.kde.org and click "File a Bug".

2. If an application crashes, Dr Konqi runs and takes you through a
    crash-reporting dialog, which then posts a report to BKO.

3. You can use menu Help->Report Bug=85 which  summons up a browser,
    connects to BKO and continues essentially as in 1.

4. If browsing is unavailable, Help->Report Bug=85 has an alternative dialo=
g.

The source code for 2. is in kde/kde-runtime/drkonqi and for 3. and 4. it
is in kde/kdelibs/kdeui/dialogs/kbugreport.*.  Also Dr Konqi uses a module
called bugzillalib and there seems to be another bugzillalib in Plasma.

Are there plans to rationalise and unify bug reporting in KF 5?

I am trying to debug KDE 4 bug-reporting on Apple OS X and at present,
only item 1. above is working.  Item 2. should work, but it offers only
Konqueror as a browser and Konqueror is not working too well on
Apple OS X.  I am asking because I am wondering where to
concentrate my efforts

Will more of the network part of bug-reporting be handled by Qt 5
in future KDE software?

For example, the Dr Konqi dialog has some links to things, using Qt's
Rich Text Format, such as a link to create an account on BKO.  If I click
on one of those links, I go straight to a page of BKO, using the browser
I have chosen to use in Apple OS X (in my case Firefox) - no need to
configure it in KDE, even if I could get that to work in Apple OS X.
I guess Qt4-Mac is able to ask Apple OS X what browser I use and
connect to it in a portable way.

Ideas anyone?

Cheers, Ian W.