List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE applications 4.14 LTS or 4.15?
From:       Mario Fux <kde-ml () unormal ! org>
Date:       2014-04-29 16:13:20

Am Samstag, 26. April 2014, 16.48:22 schrieb Kevin Krammer:

Morning Kevin

> On Friday, 2014-04-25, 21:09:34, Mario Fux wrote:
> > Morning gals and guys
> >
> > First: there are several mailing lists in the "TO:" above but please just
> > write to the kde-devel mailing list for this discussion.
> >
> > As the release schedule for our KDE applications in the version 4.14 [1]
> > were finalized at the beginning of this week it's time to discuss if 4.14
> > should become a LTS release (e.g. until August 2015 like KDE Workspaces
> > 4.11) or if we need (at least) another features release and thus 4.15?
>
> I am not sure I understood this correctly.
> The proposal is to end 4.x SC releases at 4.14 and either not do any SC
> until all applications have been ported or discontinue the SC releases
> alltogether?

I think mostly the later as it's not clear if there will be another SC. See
for this the emails on kde-community.

But this email is mostly about if we should stop KDE applications releases
with 4.14 (stop feature development I mean) and make a LTS release out if it
(likewise to the KDE Workspaces/Plasma did with 4.11.x till August 2015) or if
we want more feature development in the KDE Applications with Qt4 and KDE
Platform 4 and thus target a 4.15 release.

I'm collecting the different opinions in this thread and will summarize them
in the next days. Currently it looks (at least for me) like a compromise):
4.14 as a LTS release with some relaxed rules (feature development, string
changes). Something like 3.10 or what was it back then?

Best regards
Mario