List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Missing application icons of many KDE apps on MacPorts/OSX
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-04-02 0:16:50

FWIW, I have managed to build a debug version of kdelibs master, on Apple O=
S X 10.7.5 (Lion).
I guess the Nepomuk dependency versions have not changed since KDE 4.12 and=
 the build
was able to pick up already-installed Nepomuk dependencies.

I need to do more building, I think, to get my games to run properly (e.g. =
build libkdegames),
but I noticed that KGoldrunner was getting error-log messages about not usi=
ng the default
Oxygen theme, whatever that is.

I thought Oxygen was a palette and the artists for KGoldrunner certainly us=
ed the Oxygen palette
to create icons, but they went into the hicolor directory tree.

On 01/04/2014, at 9:51 AM, mk-lists@email.de wrote:
> On 31 Mar 2014, at 22:41 , mk-lists@email.de wrote:
>> So, obviously the test program fiddles with the ICNS file at startup and=
 restores it when shutting down=85
>> What=92s going on there and what can go wrong?
> =

> So, I figure now that the problem is actually due to the fact that the ic=
on at runtime gets loaded from the install location in e.g. /opt/local/shar=
e/icons/oxygen/ whereas the icon in the dock is extracted from the ICNS fil=
e in the app package.
> =

> =

> 	It is important not only to supply the ICNS file, but also to install al=
l needed PNGs in the required dimensions in /opt/local/share/icons/hicolor/=
=85/apps/tutorial2.png
> =

> =

> There is also clears up why there are different kdevelop icons shown!
> Since MacPorts installs the oxygen icon set, KDE actually assigns those i=
cons instead of the hicolor ones installed by the application itself:
> $ pwd
> /opt/local/share/icons
> $ find . -name "kdevelop*"
> ./hicolor/128x128/apps/kdevelop.png
> ./hicolor/16x16/apps/kdevelop.png
> ./hicolor/32x32/apps/kdevelop.png
> ./hicolor/48x48/apps/kdevelop.png
> ./oxygen/128x128/apps/kdevelop.png
> ./oxygen/16x16/apps/kdevelop.png
> ./oxygen/22x22/apps/kdevelop.png
> ./oxygen/256x256/apps/kdevelop.png
> ./oxygen/32x32/apps/kdevelop.png
> ./oxygen/48x48/apps/kdevelop.png
> ./oxygen/64x64/apps/kdevelop.png
> =

> =

> =

> On 24 Mar 2014, at 02:36 , Ian Wadham <iandw.au@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So where is this NEW Konqueror icon coming from?  The files in pics/indi=
cators seem
>> to be far too small to be a big icon like that.
> =

> The same holds for Konqueror, which answers your question, Ian! :-)

Yeah, but where/how (in the code or the build instructions) does it get tha=
t icon?
And what does the build have to do (on Apple OS X) to pick up the Oxygen ap=
p icons
and put them in an ICNS file?

Is http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Icons still current? Or is=
 there some
new way for an application programmer to provide icons?

Cheers, Ian W.