List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: What to test for 4.13?
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-03-11 3:05:02

Hello Jos, Ben, Kevin and Frank,

I would like to clear the air a little.

I am seriously interested in this problem of running KDE apps
on Apple Mac OS X and would like to do something to solve it,
but I am going to need help and advice on the internals of
KDE --- or an up-to-date set of design and architecture
documentation =85 :-)

First, to Jos Poortvliet: please accept my apologies for causing
all this noise on your thread.  I will start another thread.

To Kevin Krammer and Frank Reininghaus: Please can you give me
help and advice?  See my new thread: "Running KDE apps on Apple
OS X", where I attempt to define the problem better.

To Ben Cooksley: I have the deepest respect for Sysadmin and
what you do, but I do not think Continuous Integration is an issue
in this case.  Bugs that occur in KDE apps in an Apple environment
also tend to occur in a Linux environment and vice versa, otherwise
I could not fix bugs on Apple OS X that are reported in other O/S's.

Bugs that occur in KDE apps and KDE libraries and are specific to an
Apple environment are rather rare and can be handled in the usual
ways via bugzilla.

I am chiefly concerned about *integration* issues between certain
KDE apps and the KDE desktop --- which of course is not present
when you are running Apple OS X. I believe that, once they are fixed,
these issues will stay fixed until there is some major re-design of KDE
or Apple OS X.  I base that opinion on direct experience with UNIX,
other O/S's and desktops, at the sysadmin and maintenance level,
before I retired from the workforce.

I was rather hoping that KDE, as an organisation (or KDE ev), could
simply purchase a couple of Apple MacBooks and loan them to
anyone who might be willing to check up on this stuff as part of
a KDE release.  It is quite nice hardware, even if it does bundle
its operating system =85 :-) But if that is not possible, I will do my
(limited) best on my own Apple MacBook Pro machine.  I am not
a core KDE developer.

All the best, Ian W.