List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Dissertation project
From:       Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-12-11 15:14:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 6:03 PM, Ovidiu-Florin Bogdan
<ovidiu.b13@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello world,
>
> Me and my fianc=C3=A9e are students for a masters degree in Software
> Engineering and we need to find projects for our dissertations.
>
> We really want our projects to be something useful and to be a part of KD=
E.

> We were thinking of a few things and would like your feedback on them on
> if and how can this be achieved.
>

>    - KDE Connect: seamless file browsing on android device (using
>    Dolphin); SMS integration with Telepathy, to be able to respond and vi=
ew
>    the message thread; Answer and make phone calls (through Telepathy, ma=
ybe);
>    Contacts integration with Akonadi for the above two.
>    - Akregator: Integration with Akonadi; A plugin to connect and sync
>    with feedly: feeds synced across devices, search for new feeds, catego=
ries,
>    tags, etc.
>    - Akonadi: better contact integration: see if mail sender is online
>    for chat and start chat, send email to the person chatting with (Kmail=
 and
>    Telepathy).
>
> These are a few rough ideas which maybe we won't be able to do it all but
> at least part of it. We incline for the first 2 ideas.
> I've already asked the KDE Connect maintainer about how can I help with
> the project and if my ideas are part of the plan.
>
> I have some experience with KDE development, I've looked over the code of
> a few applications and made a few pull requests, so I know a few things o=
> how part of KDE works, but I still need some guidance. Mostly I've only
> done translations and support.
>
> What do you guys think? Can we get some help from you guys on this?

I personally think it's awesome to use degree / master / phd work on free
and libre software, and I wish you guys the best. :)
I'm a bit away of KDevelopment for about 3 years, getting back now,  and I
can help in what I can, no qml skills whatsoever.

Tomaz