List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Dissertation project
From:       Kevin Krammer <krammer () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-12-12 20:45:03

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

On Tuesday, 2013-12-10, 22:03:29, Ovidiu-Florin Bogdan wrote:
> Hello world,
>
> Me and my fiancée are students for a masters degree in Software Engineering
> and we need to find projects for our dissertations.
>
> We really want our projects to be something useful and to be a part of KDE.

Very cool!

> We were thinking of a few things and would like your feedback on them on if
> and how can this be achieved.
>

>    - KDE Connect: seamless file browsing on android device (using Dolphin);
>    SMS integration with Telepathy, to be able to respond and view the
> message thread; Answer and make phone calls (through Telepathy, maybe);
> Contacts integration with Akonadi for the above two.
>    - Akregator: Integration with Akonadi; A plugin to connect and sync with
>    feedly: feeds synced across devices, search for new feeds, categories,
>    tags, etc.

Akonadi porting is already being worked on, not sure how far it is though. No
synching as far as I know.

>    - Akonadi: better contact integration: see if mail sender is online for
>    chat and start chat, send email to the person chatting with (Kmail and
>    Telepathy).

That is basically ready, called KPeople.

In general I am not sure if either of those ideas would qualify for a master
thesis work, but that will of course depend on what the university expects.

Speaking as a PIM developer we would of course love to have someone work on
PIM stuff and PIM data and user interfaces in general make good research
material :)

I would suggest you also ask on the kde-pim mailinglist so you can get
feedback by more developers from that area.

> I have some experience with KDE development, I've looked over the code of a
> few applications and made a few pull requests, so I know a few things on
> how part of KDE works, but I still need some guidance. Mostly I've only
> done translations and support.

That shouldn't be a problem. Aside from help being available on mailinglists,
quite some projects have people who are experienced mentors.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring