List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: When does kbuildsycoca4 run?
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-09-20 14:03:33

On Thursday, September 20, 2012 02:05:11 PM Ian Wadham wrote:
> > Which of those processes are necessary for running KDE apps?
> > Which can be omitted or "bound off" somehow if you are not running
> > on a KDE desktop?
>
> But still these other questions remain …  Basically, what do you need to
> know to run KDE applications successfully on a non-KDE, non-Linux
> desktop?  Or is that just not universally feasible?  Perhaps some KDE
> apps "travel well" and others not at all … :-( … but which is which?

The problem is that there is no universal answer to the question.
Some applications can run without needing anything else. Some need the sycoca
cache. Others need dbus and some other application to communicate with it
through dbus. Others need kded4 deamons running (most non-workspace
applications should work without them though).
Then come the other deamons:
- pim apps need akonadi and akonadi resources
- some apps can optionally use nepomuk (dolphin, pim apps, digikam, etc.)
- many apps use the kwalletd process

kdeinit4 does start some things, but technically apps do not need kdeinit4. It
is there to speedup the startup.

> Browsing the KDE repository, I have found:
>
> https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kde-workspace/repository/revisions/mas
> ter/changes/startkde.cmake
> https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdelibs/repository/revisions/master/e
> ntry/kded/DESIGN
> https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdelibs/repository/revisions/master/e
> ntry/kded/HOWTO
>
> The first one seems to be the Shell script that starts KDE and has quite
> a few comments, but it is odd that it has a .cmake suffix.  Are the above
> all the documentation there is on how KDE works?

It has a .cmake prefix as it will be processed at build time. But it is the
base of the script that starts the KDE environment. On Mac you don't want the
full environment.
As I said kded is needed by some things, but many apps should work without.

Andras