List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Several new utilities for KDE: KLook and StackFolder
From:       Peter Penz <peter.penz19 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-05-03 19:40:19

On 05/03/2012 07:55 PM, Denis Koryavov wrote:
 > От: "todd rme" <toddrme2178@gmail.com>
[...]
> > http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=38913&hilit=dolphin+corner
>
> Hello!
>
> We thought about this function and arrived at a conclusion, that it will
> be not very useful. Some time ago, we asked our users about selection
> marker in folders and found, that many users do not understand what is this
> function intended for. And only very few percent of users use this function
> (for example, we disabled this function in Mandriva/ROSA by default and
> did not receive any negative feedback about this).
>
> Also, KLook can be used to see multiple files, so it will be not very good
> usability thing: use action for one object to see several object. I think
> it will be better to put a button for the KLook to the toolbar, so the
> users,
> who want to use mouse to use KLook will can do this.

Hm... In opposite to OS X' Finder per default Dolphin and Konqueror use
single-click to enter a folder and to open a file. Assuming there is no
hover-indicator like suggested at
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=38913&hilit=dolphin+corner but
a button for KLook in the toolbar as you suggest: How will users be able
to select one file/folder to launch KLook with the toolbar button?

I see only the following ways:
- The user presses Ctrl + left click on file followed by clicking the
KLook-toolbar-button. Makes 2 clicks in sum.
- The users activates the rubberband to select a file followed by
clicking the KLook-toolbar-button. Again 2 clicks in sum.
- The user takes the keyboard to select a file followed by clicking the
KLook-toolbar-button (or pressing "Space" as shortcut). Again at least 2
key-presses or 1 key-press + 1 mouse-click.

Now in comparison to the suggestion given at
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=38913&hilit=dolphin+corner
there it is only needed to hover the file and press the preview-button...

Considering that KLook is inspired by "Quick Look" from Apple I think it
is mandatory that starting KLook must be more efficient ("quick") than
starting e.g. Gwenview, Okular or Dragon Player ;-)

Of course the suggestion at
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=38913&hilit=dolphin+corner
might not be the final solution and I'm aware that the selection-toggle
might not be suitable for all users. But as long as we keep single-click
per default for Dolphin and Konqueror we must come up with a way to
start KLook with one action and not more - otherwise simply opening the
application or using the Information Panel would be more efficient.

 > And only very few percent of users use this function
 > (for example, we disabled this function in Mandriva/ROSA by default and
 > did not receive any negative feedback about this).

Users of course cannot complain about a missing functionality they are
not aware of because it has been disabled. Instead they complain on
bugs.kde.org that selecting in Dolphin/Konqueror is tricky and that it
should use double-click per default ;-) We had this
single-click/double-click discussion already 12 years ago and the
outcome was that there simply is no default setting that satisfies all
users out there. From the feedback at bugs.kde.org it seems that most
users stay with the single-click setting and are fine with this, but the
situation might probably be the same if we'd have chosen double-click
per default. I don't know. In any case: The hover-buttons seem to work
well in Gwenview, the folder-plasmoid and (at least from the feedback I
got) also in Dolphin. So the idea at
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=38913&hilit=dolphin+corner
is worth to consider from my point of view.

Best regards,
Peter