List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Several new utilities for KDE: KLook and StackFolder
From:       Mario Fux <kde-ml () unormal ! org>
Date:       2012-05-03 10:23:01

Am Donnerstag 03 Mai 2012, 11.46:27 schrieb Denis Koryavov:
> Hello developers!

Good morning Denies

Let me first thank you for brining your stuff upstream and your interest to
work together!

I took a look at the videos below and there is some ideas and questions from
my side.

> Let me introduce itself. I'm Denis Koryavov - the head of UI development
> department in ROSA, Russia. We work on our distro based on KDE and created
> several utilities for KDE which we want to submit for your consideration.
> We'll be happy if you will found them useable.
>
> StackFolder
>
> StackFolder is an utility that looks like some several utilities from KDE.
> Originally it is a fork of plasma-applet-folderview that redesigned to
> look like MacOS X Stask utility (for the time being it rewritten on QML
> with the parts of old code). Here is the video where you can see the
> features of StackFolders (this is a old video, but topical):
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnH13y_FlHU

Looks really nice. You speak about the fork of plasma-applet-folderview. Were
you in contact with the Plasma people (plasma-devel@kde.org)?

> -- SOURCES --
>
> You can download source code from here:
> https://abf.rosalinux.ru/projects/64692
>
> Or you can use git for fetching the sources:
>
> git clone https://abf.rosalinux.ru/uxteam/StackFolder.git
>

> KLook
>
> KLook is an other utility for KDE, it written in QML. With the help of this
> utility, user can quickly look at files with different  mime-types. In
> fact, it is practically exact copy of MacOS X QuickLook utility).  User
> can use  it directly from the Dolphin file manager by pressing a 'Space'
> key on keyboard.
>
> -- FEATURES --
>
> For now KLook supports:
> - audio and video files (all that supported by Phonon);
> - graphic files (png, jpg);
> - text files;
> - for files with different mime-types (and folders) user can see its
> preferences;

I like it. First thought was: what about pdf support but then I saw something
about this in the video. What's the status about pdfs?

> We created a video with the demonstration of functions of KLook. You can
> see it here:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iADISfFTyjY
>
> This video is also old, but topical. On it you can see 70% functions of the
> KLook (after we created this video we added integration with the
> StackFolder, possibility to listen audio files and possibility to see any
> file, as minimum - its properties).
>

> -- SOURCES --
>
> You can download source code from here:
> https://abf.rosalinux.ru/projects/64689 A patch for KDE 4.8 that allows to
> use KLook directly from the Dolphin file manager is here:
> https://abf.rosalinux.ru/projects/64429/blob/master/kdebase-4.8.1-dolphin-
> klook.patch

If it's about Dolphin were you in contact with Peter Penz, the Dolphin
maintainer?

> GIT:
>
> git clone https://abf.rosalinux.ru/uxteam/KLook.git
>
> Both of these utilities are included in our distro and were well tested by
> many users. It is time to present them for you. We have resources to work
> on them and later, and if you will decide that that they are worthy of
> KDE, we would be happy to work on them in KDE project.
>
> Thanks!

I think (please others correct me if I'm wrong) a first step would be to get a
KDE account and import your software to the KDE git playground area.

Thanks for your work on and with KDE software
Mario