List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Google Summer of Code 2012
From:       Teo Mrnjavac <teo () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-03-26 10:13:01

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 00:28, Jo=E3o Paquim <jonhypaquim@hotmail.com> wrot=
e:
> Hey everyone,
>
> My name is Jo=E3o Paquim, and I'm working on my application for GSOC 2012.
> I could use some tips from you guys, I'm having some difficulty choosing
> something to work on, I've spent some time looking at the Ideas list, but=
> can't help but feel a little lost. There are many things that would inter=
est
> me, but I would need some guidance in preparing the application.=A0 How m=
any
> people regularly have their GSOC applications rejected?
>
> Here's what it currently looks like, I've filled in whatever I could:
> "
> Name:
>
> =A0=A0=A0 Jo=E3o Paquim
>

> Email Address:
>
> =A0=A0=A0 main: jonhypaquim@hotmail.com
> =A0=A0=A0 secondary: jonhypaquim@gmail.com
>

> Freenode IRC Nick:
>
> =A0=A0=A0 JPaquim
>
> IM Service and Username:
>

> Location (City, Country and/or Time Zone):
>
> =A0=A0=A0 Lisbon, Portugal (GMT)
>

> Proposal Title:
>

> Motivation for Proposal / Goal:
>
> =A0=A0=A0 I've wanted to get involved with an open-source project for som=
e time,
> but always found making the move a bit too mind-perplexing.
> =A0=A0=A0 GSOC makes this a lot easier, making the whole thing more comfo=
rtable
> when it comes to contacting the organizations, besides providing financial
> incentive.
> =A0=A0=A0 I want to know what it feels like to be a part of a large proje=
ct, and
> take my software development skills to the real world.
>

> Implementation Details:
>

> Tentative Timeline (in weekly intervals until 2 weeks after the end of
> GSoC):
>
> .
> Do you have other obligations from late May to early August (school, work,
> vacation, etc.)? Please note
> that we expect the Summer of Code to be a full-time, 40-hr a week
> occupation. It is important to be clear
> and upfront about other commitments that you may have during that time.
>
> =A0=A0=A0 I'll have classes until 25/05, 6 tests from 2/06 until 15/06, a=
nd
> recovery exams from 23/06 until 29/06.
> =A0=A0=A0 I'll try to avoid the recovery exams, and even with all the tes=
ts, I'll
> still be pretty available during June.
> =A0=A0=A0 I have no obligations during July or August, however.
>

> About Me (let us know who you are!):
>
> =A0=A0=A0 I'm a first year Aerospace Engineering student at IST, and I've=
 been
> interested in programming for a couple of years now.
> =A0=A0=A0 I started out learning Python. I learned basic programming conc=
epts, but
> stopped for some time, I can't really recall why.
> [...]

Hello Jo=E3o,

Thanks for contacting us.
GSoC is a very competitive program, I don't have the exact numbers at
hand but the spots are limited so I expect that more than half of the
proposals aren't accepted. For those KDE hosts the Summer of KDE, a
program similar to GSoC where KDE provides a mentor to a student, the
only difference is that the student doesn't get paid.
In my experience, for a GSoC project to work the student needs to be
strongly motivated for his/her project. I suggest you take another
look at the ideas page - I can't choose a project for you ;) Once you
pick an idea, if you need guidance it's best to write to the mailing
list of the project that would mentor your idea.

Cheers,
-- =

Teo