List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: Google Summer of Code 2012
From:       Joćo Paquim <jonhypaquim () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2012-03-26 16:49:41

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

> From: teo@kde.org
> Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:13:01 +0200
> Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code 2012
> To: kde-devel@kde.org; jonhypaquim@hotmail.com
>
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 00:28, Joćo Paquim <jonhypaquim@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey everyone,
> >
> > My name is Joćo Paquim, and I'm working on my application for GSOC 2012.
> > I could use some tips from you guys, I'm having some difficulty choosing
> > something to work on, I've spent some time looking at the Ideas list, but I
> > can't help but feel a little lost. There are many things that would interest
> > me, but I would need some guidance in preparing the application.  How many
> > people regularly have their GSOC applications rejected?
> >
> > Here's what it currently looks like, I've filled in whatever I could:
> > "
> > Name:
> >
> > Joćo Paquim
> >

> > Email Address:
> >
> > main: jonhypaquim@hotmail.com
> > secondary: jonhypaquim@gmail.com
> >

> > Freenode IRC Nick:
> >
> > JPaquim
> >
> > IM Service and Username:
> >

> > Location (City, Country and/or Time Zone):
> >
> > Lisbon, Portugal (GMT)
> >

> > Proposal Title:
> >

> > Motivation for Proposal / Goal:
> >
> > I've wanted to get involved with an open-source project for some time,
> > but always found making the move a bit too mind-perplexing.
> > GSOC makes this a lot easier, making the whole thing more comfortable
> > when it comes to contacting the organizations, besides providing financial
> > incentive.
> > I want to know what it feels like to be a part of a large project, and
> > take my software development skills to the real world.
> >

> > Implementation Details:
> >

> > Tentative Timeline (in weekly intervals until 2 weeks after the end of
> > GSoC):
> >
> > .
> > Do you have other obligations from late May to early August (school, work,
> > vacation, etc.)? Please note
> > that we expect the Summer of Code to be a full-time, 40-hr a week
> > occupation. It is important to be clear
> > and upfront about other commitments that you may have during that time.
> >
> > I'll have classes until 25/05, 6 tests from 2/06 until 15/06, and
> > recovery exams from 23/06 until 29/06.
> > I'll try to avoid the recovery exams, and even with all the tests, I'll
> > still be pretty available during June.
> > I have no obligations during July or August, however.
> >

> > About Me (let us know who you are!):
> >
> > I'm a first year Aerospace Engineering student at IST, and I've been
> > interested in programming for a couple of years now.
> > I started out learning Python. I learned basic programming concepts, but
> > stopped for some time, I can't really recall why.
> > A year ago, I decided to try out Linux. I started with Ubuntu, jumped
> > around between the different flavors and other distros based on it:
> > Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint, among others. I resumed my Python learning,
> [...]

Hey Teo,

First of all, thank you very much for the answer.
So do you think I have a shot at getting a spot? Or are the other participants way \
ahead of me in terms of skills? Should I look for another GSoC project to apply to? \
Can I apply to multiple organizations? Do you reject proposals based on what sort of \
thing?

My problem isn't lack of motivation, rather lack of orientation. The application \
template has such things as "Implementation Details" and "Tentative Timeline", which \
I have a hard time filling in right now, as I lack the predictive capability (mostly \
because I've never done this before) and in terms of implementation, I have no idea \
what to say...

Cheers,
Joćo Paquim