List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC idea: improving scanning and OCR in KDE (skanlite/kooka)
From:       Kåre_Särs <kare.sars () iki ! fi>
Date:       2012-03-14 21:17:29

On Wednesday 14 March 2012 10:00:48 Jos=E9 Manuel Santamar=EDa Lema wrote:
> Thank you K=E5re and Klaas for your replies, I had some time to dig a bit=
 more
> about this:
> =

> =

> In first place, I have just realized that gocr is able to provide an outp=
ut
> saying where the characters/words are located (see the gocr man page, I
> checked how "-f XML" works with a sample image, and looks like it's what I
> need); thus it wouldn't be mandatory to add ocropus support right now; it
> would be fine, but optional.
Here the accuracy of the output might be a factor... Which one produces a m=
ore =

accurate recognition? =

How easy it is to implement is also an important factor :)

> =

> In second place, and just FYI, I've got a ~12 years old scanner, I've tes=
ted
> both skanlite and kooka, skanlite worked fine, however kooka doesn't work
> _for_ _me_. Fortunately I think I still can provide a djvu generator
> supporting OCR with kooka, even if I don't port it to libksane; see below.
> =

> About K=E5re's tasks set: I think I would split the first item thus:
> 1a) Create a non-GUI Qt/KDE library able to open and generate djvu docume=
nts
> without text layer. (libkdjvu)
> 1b) Create a non-GUI Qt/KDE library that can take an (Q)image and generate
> output suitable for djvu/PDF/ODF (libkocr)
> 1c) Add suport to the libkdjvu library to include the data retrieved with
> libkocr as text layer.
> =

Sounds good.

> Note that a djvu file may or may not have a text layer. Also note that
> getting a text with OCR and creating djvu files joining various
> images/texts are very different jobs. That are the reasons to split the
> first item like that. That being said, let me do some other remarks and
> questions:
> =

> About my 1a): Perhaps I could reuse some code from okular; I'd need to
> investigate more about this.
Maybe even a mentor could be found... (hoping)

> =

> About my 1b): There is already some code in kooka to do something like th=
at;
> see these classes: OcrGocrEngine, OcrEngine and KookaImage. So, performing
> these task would be mainly: hacking on OcrGocrEngine in order to make it
> give an output suitable for my new libkdjvu library (that would be done
> processing the output of "gocr -f XML") and taking all the kooka classes
> related to ocr and putting them together in a shared library (libkocr).
> Looks like most of kooka files are licensed with GPLv2 only with a couple=
 of
> special exceptions; Klaas, could we please change that license to GPLv2 or
> later with the same couple of special exceptions? See:
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_Relicensing
Is the preferred license for KDE libraries LGPL?...

> =

> About 2) and 5): I'm open to other ideas, but right now I tend to think t=
hat
> both the "simple GUI" mentioned in 2) and the "Standalone document scanni=
ng
> application" mentioned in 5) will be a new tab in kooka which would behave
> as a djvu editor. I did quick mockup, this GUI would be able to open
> existing djvu documents as well as creating new ones:
> http://alioth.debian.org/~santa-guest/gsoc2012/mockup.png
Sounds good. I think I should have skipped the GUI part for 2) just somethi=
ng =

quick to use while developing/testing...

> =

> About 3) and 4): if I create that libkocr library this should be easy to =
do;
> however, I want to understand better how these plugins would work from a
> user point of view; for instance, let's say I open a png file in my
> gwenview, I have a menu item called "Process image with OCR" inside the
> "Plugins" menu. What would happen if I click that item? Would it open a
> text editor with the OCR result or what?

I'm not aware of any other application than Kooka that would have used the =
OCR =

part of the KScan plugin-interface... That does not mean tho that there wou=
ld =

not be a need for it ;)

The Acquireimage kipi-plugin scans and saves images almost like a standalon=
e =

application. I think the idea here would be to "export" images to some text =

file-format.

Regards,
  K=E5re