List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC Idea : S.M.A.R.T. HDD health info and monitoring
From:       Anant Kamath <kamathanant () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-03-14 21:40:38

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 06:36, Parker Coates wrote:
   The KDE Partition Manager already has some support for SMART
   reporting. [1]
<http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=133174777706725&w=2#1> So you
might want to continue your investigation there.

   Parker
Having looked at this : http:k3b
project//blog.volker-lanz.de/2010/05/29/new-in-kde-partition-manager-1-1-ii-smart-status-reports
<http://blog.volker-lanz.de/2010/05/29/new-in-kde-partition-manager-1-1-ii-smart-status-reports>
it seems that most of the features that I proposed in my original
email have been implemented in the KDE partition manager, though not
released as yet.
The author is unclear about when the new version (1.1) with the
S.M.A.R.T features  will be released, that post in the link above
being made almost two
years ago!

It does not seem contain an interface for notifications / scheduling
tests though..
'
Considering all this, especially the fact that a major chunk of
original proposal has been implemented (somewhat) elsewhere (but not
looking like it's going to be released anytime soon)...
I feel a bit lost now, and unsure of how to proceed with this part of
the proposal..

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 9:43 PM, Alex Fiestas <afiestas@kde.org> wrote:
> I'd add one more thing to this GSoC which is "Disk Management", basically
> this
> includes:
> 1-Creating iso-s from optical mediums
> 2-Be able to mount the iso's
> 3-Burn these iso's into an optical medium

I would like to implement these features too.. although I'm not sure I
understand the 3rd point.. As Shantanu Tushar pointed out, k3b does
this..
Wouldn't it suffice / or perhaps be more ideal to add a context menu
entry to dolphin,konqueror,etc. for iso files, which would launch a
k3b project with the iso file loaded?