List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Change default setting of keyboard accelerators to "Show when needed"
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2012-03-14 20:18:44

On 14.03.12 14:18:47, Valentin wrote:
> I posted this question just in the kde bugtracke, but maybe here it's
> better to discuss.
>
> I think, that only a few people really use the keyboard accelerators
> but they are enabled by default.

Do you have data to back up that statement? Most people around me use
accelerators ocassionally, though they prefer shorrcuts. I think wether
or not they're used could depend on the target audience quite a lot.

> Why not show them only when needed?

Because that could make it harder for beginners to even realize that
there is the concept of accelerators. I can imagine someone looking at a
menu and wondering what the highlighted letters are for. If he first
needs to press and hold a key to see the highlighting that would seem to
make it harder to discoverthis concept.

> There is a nice select box in the KDE oxygen settings.
>
> There are 3 options
> - Allways show
> - Allways hide
> - Show when needed
>
> The default setting is "Allways show". I think, we should make "Show
> when needed" default because it looks better.

This part should be discussed with our artists and maybe usability team.

> Also Windows and GNOME
> are not showing keyboard accelerators by default.

Other desktop systems doing this does not necessarily mean its a good
thing for KDE too.

Andreas