List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Build KMail only?
From:       Michael Pyne <mpyne () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-07-11 3:32:54

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday, July 10, 2011 21:26:20 Rui Maciel wrote:
> On 07/10/2011 05:35 PM, Tom Albers wrote:
> > You can talk all you want, you called akonadi and friends 'cruft' and I
> > find that disrespectful and unneeded, you could have conveyed exactly the
> > same message without the addition of the word 'cruft'.
> Listen, I was very clear on what I've said.  So you can at least try to
> understand what has been said, which wasn't the insult you perceived, or
> you can keep on overreacting because someone used a word you didn't
> approved.

The message you sent was apparently not the message you intended to send,
which I think is one of the things you can take away from this. Unless you
intend on having to restate in a lot of words exactly what you mean every time
you call actively-developed KDE software "cruft", you might want to be more
specific with your complaints.

For instance, one thing you said (even in your clarifying email) was that
Akonadi is something unpleasant which has accumulated over time, and
"unpleasant" is hardly a technical term.

An actual technical complaint would be that requiring Akonadi for KMail makes
KMail difficult to build on Mac OS X, but that doesn't meet any definition of
"cruft" that I am familiar with.

Either way your original question could have been posed as "Have you tried
checking out a pre-Akonadi version of KMail" instead of "Have you tried
checking out an older version from the pre-Akonadi & related cruft days?".
'Cruft' has always had negative connotations and so using it here when it was
not actually necessary makes a negative response to that unsurprising (and not
just an 'overreaction').

> Yet, the latter doesn't help anyone in any way, including
> getting kmail to build on a platform which doesn't provide Akonadi, and
> only adds noise to this mailing list.

Well, he's not trying to get KMail to build, he's trying to remind people that
a technical failure on an unpopular (for KDE) platform does not turn an entire
software library into "cruft". And, he's right.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne