List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Build KMail only?
From:       Matthias Fuchs <mat69 () gmx ! net>
Date:       2011-07-11 8:25:16

Am Donnerstag 23 Juni 2011, 08:40:02 schrieb Ian Wadham:
> I have recently acquired a Macbook Pro and a group called Macports
> makes available a whole range of KDE modules and apps, most of
> which can run natively on the Mac OS X desktop, thanks to Qt-mac.
> It is even possible to do KDE app development on the Mac desktop
> and that seems attractive to me.  I am a KDE Games developer.
>
> I would like to use KMail as my preferred email app, but am having
> trouble with that port.  It won't run because it wants Akonadi and then
> it wants MySql and who knows how much else.  The library versions
> I have on the Macbook are KDE 4.6.4.
>
> I do not need the other KDE PIM apps and I do not wish to install
> more software than I really need.  So my question is:
>
> Can I build KMail without Akonadi, etc?  If so, how?
>
> I just want to read, send and store mail and KMail is ideal for that.  I
> have been using it for many years and have no desire to change.
>
> All the best, Ian W.

> >> unsubscribe <<

Use KMail1, that should work good enough without Akonadi. Most likely the
address-book won't work then though.

In any case I can't recommend you to use KMail2 -- which completely depends on
Akonadi.

I am running KMail2 and here it is worse in _every_ aspect than KMail1. It is
_very_ slow, uses _lot's_ of RAM and CPU time. In general it hinders me in
reading my mails instead of helping me like KMail1 did.
I can't wait minutes for a program to start up or minutes for it to sort my
mails, display my mails ... especially not if it uses so many resources. In
any case there are a lot of bug reports on the issues I mentioned --> just
look at the major ones, gives you a glimpse of what can hit you.

So if you ever plan to use KMail you should either wait until the most severe
issues are sorted out with the new stack or use an older version. Recommending
you anything different for a production system would imo be irresponsible as --
Captain Hindsight strikes ;) -- was pushing KMail2 in a maintenance release.