List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Knotify and standard desktop notifications
From:       Pino Toscano <toscano.pino () tiscali ! it>
Date:       2011-05-20 17:58:15

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

Alle venerd́ 20 maggio 2011, Rui Maciel ha scritto:
> I've been looking to implement some sort of desktop notification on a
> small pet project but so far the only thing that I've found was
> libnotify, which appears to be based on a non-standard
> specification[1].  So, is there any standard, desktop-independent
> way to present users with passive popups notifying them of specific
> events, such as those used to inform?  And, more importantly, does
> KNotify support it?

Yes, use the KNotification class, part of kdeui:
http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-
apidocs/kdeui/html/classKNotification.html

> If it does, what standard does it follow and
> where can I get the specification?

The knotify daemon should support some version (I guess the latest) of
the notification freedesktop specs; but usually you don't have to worry
about that, knotify will be adapted to support new versions/features of
those specs, pretty transparently from your (= application using
KNotification) point of view.

--
Pino Toscano