List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail without nepomuk
From:       Sebastian =?iso-8859-1?q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-03-23 11:17:24

Hi,

On Wednesday, March 23, 2011 01:21:23 jam wrote:
> Guys, without starting a flame war, the whole nepomuk shebang ruined the
> best mailer around.

If you don't want a flamewar started, why are you being so polarizing?

> [info] I use gnome not kde. Every single time I start kmail on any of my
> machines I need to start kmail twice. Once with 'nepomuk not
> running' [report] [close], also with 'Nepomuk search service not
> registered at D-Bus'. Also requires 2 starts.

Did you look at bugs.kde.org, if that's already reported? If not, please file
a detailed bug report, so the KMail developers can keep track of it and
eventually fix it.

> Is it feasable to build kmail without nepomuk services?

It basically works, but will lack certain features, such as full-text search.

> I've done projects with QT but the build process for kontact looks
> intimidating.

You can just switch off Nepomuk, for example via system settings.

> Nepomuk spends ages with CPU pegged and driving the disk for something
> I see no use for in any way, and cannot imagine ever using!

There's been a bug in < 4.6.0 (or .1, maybe?), which once fixed, made this
problem go away.

Your approach sounds a bit like asking a doctor "I think my leg hurts, can you
chop it off?". It's certainly *one* way to go about it, but likely not the
ideal route to take. Legs that do not hurt can be quite useful. :)

Cheers,
--
sebas