List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail without nepomuk
From:       John Layt <johnlayt () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2011-03-23 14:09:24

On Wednesday 23 Mar 2011 00:21:23 jam wrote:
> Guys, without starting a flame war, the whole nepomuk shebang ruined the
> best mailer around.
>
> [info] I use gnome not kde. Every single time I start kmail on any of my
> machines I need to start kmail twice. Once with 'nepomuk not
> running' [report] [close], also with 'Nepomuk search service not
> registered at D-Bus'. Also requires 2 starts.
>
> Is it feasable to build kmail without nepomuk services?
> I've done projects with QT but the build process for kontact looks
> intimidating.
>
> Nepomuk spends ages with CPU pegged and driving the disk for *something*
> I see no use for in any way, and cannot imagine ever using!

Like Anne-Marie asks, what version of KMail, Akonadi and Nepomuk you have
installed?  What distro?  How installed?

The last stable release of KMail is 1.13.6 as part of kdepim 4.4.10 which does
not use Nepomuk or Akonadi for mail (not sure about indexing?).  KAddressBook
in 4.4.10 does use Akonadi and thus Nepomuk for indexing addresses that KMail
uses, so that could be the source of the problem.

If you're running a KMail2 beta version, well that's life on the bleeding edge
:-)

There's bugs in Nepomuk causing the high cpu that have recently been fixed,
not sure if they have been included in an official release yet, but try
install the latest Nepomuk your distro has available.

Have you also tried the instructions at
http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_4.4/Troubleshooting

Failing that simply disable Akonadi in the KDE System Settings/Desktop Search
and the problems should go away, although you will loose searching of
contacts.

John.