List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: New Compression System
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2010-03-25 16:37:40

On Thursday 25 March 2010, Charles Wehner wrote:
> I am not a beginner. Time DOES matter. I am busy with other important work.
> The benefits are shown on http://wehner.org/compress . A small poster took
> 1500 bytes as compared with 2130 on GIF. It gets better by LEAPS AND
> BOUNDS (exponentially), unlike GIF. It has 16 million colours, unlike GIF.
Comparison to gif are totally unrelevant in 2010, it is a dying file format
that probably still exists only for animated gif. If you want to compare your
algorithm, it should be done with state of the art such as PNG (or uncompress
jpeg2000, but while PNG is quiet use and his taking the place of PNG, jpeg2000
has remained irrelevant). Furthermore, you would need to provide a clear
benchmark, with a downloadable  images that serves as reference.

And also since we are on an open source mailing list, making the code
available would be a good idea.

--
Cyrille Berger