List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: love it, but some newbe pain
From:       Shaun Reich <predator106 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-22 1:02:13

>Download source to coustomise. Many times i think i have a good
>idea for a fix or optimization, currently kde offers no wa to do that.
[...]
>No option to DL the source..

Wrong, the way is quite easy..I mean come on, it's on the main
website, and it isn't a link even deeply nested, it's right on the
side.

>can't
>contact the author.. nothing
>as a beta project, someone dropped the ball here. I cannot easily give
>feedback

I don't see what ball was dropped - you can easily (and are
recommended) to give either feedback on bugs.kde.org (for specific
issues) or forum.kde.org, you can even go to any KDE application and
navigate to Help->Report Bug...

As for authors...nearly the same place... Help->About $application\
displays the author's names and their emails..but likely you should
only contact them if you are really interested in getting involved..
probably #kde-devel IRC channel would be good also..

Sorry, but I can't speak for the "failure to find symbols" issue, but
it could be a distro-specific issue..it won't let you report it,
because without symbols it is of no value to us..we really can't do
anything with it.

By the way, it's not a "beta project", it's just a beta release, KDE
itself isn't in beta, nor is it a "project" per se ;-)

>Take for example the "system load viewer". I have loved this app
>since.. wow.. but i would like to improve it, even if only i like the
>improvements... how do i do it? No option to DL the source.. can't
>contact the author.. nothing
>as a beta project, someone dropped the ball here. I cannot easily give
>feedback (see 1 and 2).

Downloading the source is actually quite straight-forward, following
www.kde.org and clicking on the main page's "Source Code", then
clicking on "Browse Code Online" is an option...

You can also check out the source code via SVN, see
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Sources/Anonymous_SVN which is
right above the aforementioned link.

I don't think you have looked thoroughly enough, but that's
fine..you're naturally allowed to help us out, and certainly welcomed
to do so.

--
KDE Developer,
Shaun Reich