List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kio_sftp rewrite
From:       Andreas Schneider <mail () cynapses ! org>
Date:       2009-08-05 11:54:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 05 August 2009 13:32:23 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> less code is good and more features is good; my questions would be about
> libssh. it seems fairly young and it isn't used by many other apps yet
> (though it has to start somewhere, right?).

libssh wasn't active for some time, then I joined the project and we are on
the way for world domination now! We get more and more contributiors at the
moment. We plan to have a release at least every 6 month. If there are serious
bugs we will to bugfix releases as soon as possible.

> worst case scenarios would be that libssh either isn't developed anymore in
> the near future and/or it develops some serious bugs that don't get fixed.
> i suppose we could always roll back to the current kio_sftp at that point.

I don't hope hat we will introduce serious bugs or don't fix them. I've put a
lot of effort into libssh and I don't want to throw it away in the future.

> another issue is windows support; right now kio_sftp works on windows. the
> libssh website says: "Runs and tested under x86_64, x86, ARM, Sparc32, PPC
> under Linux, BSD, MacOSX and Solaris". if there is no windows support then
> that would be a regression for the windows side of things. (not that i'm a
> supporter or fan of windows, just stating the obvious points here :)

libssh 0.3 has *no official* Windows support yet. I build windows binaries
with mingw since 0.3.0, see http://www.libssh.org/files/win32/
I know that there are windows users of libssh cause patches are flying in.

libssh 0.4 will have official Windows support. I just have to fix this MSVC
crap first ;)

> > If you're interested I would maintain kio_sftp and add more features. I'm
>
> it doesn't seem to be very actively developed, but perhaps that's just
> because it works well and so doesn't need to be? in any case, i'd send an
> email first to Dawit Alemayehu (adawit at kde.org) since he seems to be the
> last active developer on it according to websvn; before hi there was segato
> porting it to windows.

Fine, thanks. Should I send a mail to kde-core-devel too?

> as long as the above issues aren't considered blockers by others or can be
> resolved in some fashion, this would be a good time to merge your code into
> trunk as we're starting a dev cycle. but i think the above issues should be
> addressed first :)

Don't hesitate to ask more questions about libssh.

> p.s. welcome to KDE development! :)

Thanks,

	-- andreas