List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kio_sftp rewrite
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-08-05 11:32:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 05 August 2009, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> My name is Andreas Schneider, I'm a developer and the maintainer of libssh,
> a library which implements the SSH Protocol.

:)

note that this should probably go to kde-core-devel rather than kde-devel.

> During the openSUSE Hack Week I've rewritten kio_sftp using libssh with the
> a little help from Dirk Müller. The old kioslave implemented the sftp
> protocol itself, executed the ssh binary and piped everything into the
> binary.

nice ...

> With libssh you have less code to maintain and the new slave provides more
> features than the old one (datails for list and stat, resume support).

less code is good and more features is good; my questions would be about
libssh. it seems fairly young and it isn't used by many other apps yet (though
it has to start somewhere, right?).

worst case scenarios would be that libssh either isn't developed anymore in
the near future and/or it develops some serious bugs that don't get fixed. i
suppose we could always roll back to the current kio_sftp at that point.

another issue is windows support; right now kio_sftp works on windows. the
libssh website says: "Runs and tested under x86_64, x86, ARM, Sparc32, PPC
under Linux, BSD, MacOSX and Solaris". if there is no windows support then
that would be a regression for the windows side of things. (not that i'm a
supporter or fan of windows, just stating the obvious points here :)

> If you're interested I would maintain kio_sftp and add more features. I'm

it doesn't seem to be very actively developed, but perhaps that's just because
it works well and so doesn't need to be? in any case, i'd send an email first
to Dawit Alemayehu (adawit at kde.org) since he seems to be the last active
developer on it according to websvn; before hi there was segato porting it to
windows.

> implementing support for openssh extensions in libssh at the moment
> (statvfs, fstatvfs). This would allow us to check available disk space
> first before we copy anything to the server.

that'd be a good feature indeed.

as long as the above issues aren't considered blockers by others or can be
resolved in some fashion, this would be a good time to merge your code into
trunk as we're starting a dev cycle. but i think the above issues should be
addressed first :)

p.s. welcome to KDE development! :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo