List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kio_sftp rewrite
From:       Andreas Schneider <mail () cynapses ! org>
Date:       2009-08-05 11:10:49

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hello list!

My name is Andreas Schneider, I'm a developer and the maintainer of libssh, a
library which implements the SSH Protocol.

During the openSUSE Hack Week I've rewritten kio_sftp using libssh with the a
little help from Dirk Müller. The old kioslave implemented the sftp protocol
itself, executed the ssh binary and piped everything into the binary.

With libssh you have less code to maintain and the new slave provides more
features than the old one (datails for list and stat, resume support).

I have a patch of my current work for KDE 4.3. You can find it here:

http://reviewboard.kde.org/r/1226/

The slave works just fine here, but still needs more testing. If you want to
test it you need at least libssh 0.3.2. You can get it at
http://www.libssh.org/.

If you're interested I would maintain kio_sftp and add more features. I'm
implementing support for openssh extensions in libssh at the moment (statvfs,
fstatvfs). This would allow us to check available disk space first before we
copy anything to the server.

Comments are welcome :)

Best regards,

	-- andreas