List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4: missing features from KDE3
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2009-08-05 9:05:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 05 August 2009 09:38:45 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > Somewhere along the line, too, we have to consider how we sell to those
> > users that an alternative way of doing that particular thing has been (or
> > is being) done in a plasmoid.  That's often the case.  As far as I can
> > see, if the desired end can be achieved the developer has done his job.
> >  It's then up to the user to learn a new way of working.
>
> agreed; there are three things i can think of that could be done as part of
> a multi-facet solution (though i'm not sure what mix would be best right
> now):
>
> * post a clear list of things that will not be re-implemented and why; this
> is FAQ material really and shouldn't be host for discussion.
>
> * write tutorials on the "KDE4 way" to get those things done
>
> * encourage people to look at the features that are new in KDE4, get them
> looking forwards rather than backwards; right now i do fear that we spend a
> lot of time as a community looking over our shoulder. we need to do some of
> that, for sure, but probably not as much as we're doing now. unfortunately,
> our documentation on "stuff you can do with KDE4" is fairly slim due to its
> youthfulness.
>
> i assume the above is probably what you had in mind as well, or at least
> similar?

Pretty-well, yes.

1) WONTFIX list - why not a protected page on UserBase?  It's quite possible
to create a hidden page with the url posted to this list and left open for a
week or some other agreed period, after which it is linked prominently from
the Welcome Page or maybe the Intro to KDE page, at the same time as being
marked Protected.  From that date only sysops will be able to add material,
but I could handle that.

2) We already have http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/KDE3toKDE4.  This needs
reviewing and updating, with additional information.  I it gets too long I can
split it into sections with linked pages.  I really think this is the best
place for it.

3) No real answer, other than to say that if we put 1) and 2) into place we
can get them productive as quickly as possible, then hopefully have a better
community feeling to enable us to get them looking forward.

Like you, I've seen some converts - quite a few, actually - so I do believe it
can be done.  But not without planning and effort.  I'm happy to work on
UserBase, but we need lots more people to contribute.  At the moment a very
few people are carrying the load - and this goes for Translators as well as
contributors).

And while we're at it, I *have* noticed the huge effort in translations by
Qiii2006 and Claus_chr.  They are doing a wonderful job.

Anne