List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4: missing features from KDE3
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2009-08-05 4:54:51

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 04 August 2009 22:10:16 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> it's not a simple issue; it existed before kde 4 was around.

It's not a simple issue.  And it's not even about KDE, 3 or 4, IMO.  Just
google for NetworkManager or PulseAudio.  There's exactly the same anger going
on there.

If it's the economy, or global warming or whatever, we just have to sit it
out, and it will right itself in time.  If it's a loss of values and mutual
respect in western communities then we are on a losing battle.  Unfortunately
I suspect it is the latter, which leaves us needing to have survival
strategies.

You know well enough how often developers have said that they won't read user
MLs as they are too depressing.  Well, I've been reading them and dealing with
them for some years now, and the last year has been so bad that I've often
thought that I can't go on much longer.  We really do have to address this,
not just complain about it.

Lately I've taken to saying that I will try to answer a person's questions, no
matter how unreasonable they sound for two or at the most three levels of the
thread.  If they have not changed to a reasonable tone by then I walk away,
and don't answer any more questions from them.  It's not good, but it's the
only thing that's keeping me sane.

Looking at it logically, these people are like the 2-year-olds that throw
tantrums.  If they get attention it continues.  If they are ignored it becomes
pointless.  Let's start taking the responsible parent attitude, and refusing
to let their tantrums get them the attention they crave.  Maybe they'll learn
to behave better.  If they don't they can always leave - no loss to anyone.

Meanwhile, I ask you once again to look at the little things that cause
irritation out of all proportion.  IMO starting with the language of bug tags
would be a very big step forward.  I know that many bug reports are useless.
I know that many are simply wishes - and that we can't always have what we
wish, for any number of reasons.  I know that we will soon have to close
hundreds of bugs because the projects are now unmaintained, and that mayhem
will break loose again when that's done.  Let's look, at least, on how we can
minimise the pain, both for the user and for developers.

Anne